Thursday, January 29, 2009

Marvelous marmalade

I'll admit this post is a bit of a cheat, in that it's a follow-up to my previous entry on Meyer lemons. I just wanted to share that the marmalade I made, from a Gourmet recipe, turned out spectacularly.



I was worried, when I poured the hot, lemon-saturated liquid into Mason jars that it wouldn't set properly - there was no pectin added, as you may recall. But as I dipped into one of the jars the next morning, I discovered it had gelled into the perfect consistency.

As for the taste and texture, delicious. Neither my sister nor I are marmalade fans, but we both agreed this one was a winner. Naturally sweet, smooth, the thin slices of lemon devoid of bitterness or chewiness. All in all, a success.

My two tips would be a) taking the time to slice the lemons as thinly as possible; and b) letting the lemon slices sit in cold water for the full 24 hours to allow their flavour to infuse the liquid.

Follow the rest of the steps as the recipe suggests (see my previous blog post for it), and you'll have lovely Meyer lemon marmalade to share with your loved ones too! By the way, it goes wonderfully well with a hot-out-of-the-oven butter croissant.

Salut!

Suzanne


Tips, advice, suggestions comments? Email suzannekathrynellis@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment