Sunday, February 22, 2009

Brioche and bananas

This isn't my first post about French toast and it won't be my last. It's my absolute favourite breakfast food, and I'm always looking to perfect it.



Today I used thickly sliced, raisin-studded brioche bread from St. Lawrence Market, dredged the pieces in a mix of eggs, milk, with a splash of orange juice, a dribble of vanilla, some cinnamon, salt, and sugar. I didn't measure, just eyeballed everything.

A couple minutes on each side in a frypan of sizzling melted butter, and the pieces came out golden brown and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. I can see why brioche is considered the ultimate bread for French toast. I sliced up a banana for garnish, and let me tell you, French toast and banana is a wonderful combination, especially when you add in a good pour of real maple syrup.

No better way to start the day, even if you're starting your day at noon!

Salut!

Suzanne

Send your French toast suggestions to suzannekathrynellis@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment